Thursday, February 21, 2013

Guejar Sierra

Last weekend we had planned (our version of "to plan" is to talk about it and google some stuff, then wait until the last minute) to go to Granada for a few days of snow and tapas. Combine procrastination with a car in desperate need of new brakes that were still in transit across the ocean and it looked like our long weekend was a total loss. 

Until our amazing and generous friends (Ross and his wife, Pia, who also taught me how to make tortilla, there is no end to her awesomeness) lent us their second car. On top of that, their rental apartment outside of Granada was upgraded from 1 bedroom to 2, so they invited us to join them. Weekend saved!


On Saturday morning we packed up our their car and drove several hours to the countryside outside of Granada. The apartment was located in quaint Guejar Sierra, a small pueblo blanco perched in the Sierra Nevada mountain range. Sidenote: Guejar is pronounced "way-har" or some close approximation, like guapa is "wapa". 

"Cradle of the Genil River and heart of Sierra Nevada"

Water from the mountains flows to fountains still used by the public for drinking.

Clever (almost) solution for the steep streets.




The village was first settled in the 700s by the Moors. Many of the houses look sufficiently ancient and their doors were tiny, too small for even me! For the record: 5 foot 3. That's my official answer. 



 This scooter was out front of what looked like a great little tea room. Despite what the sign may claim, they were in fact, closed. No worries, we found other tasty places to eat.


On Sunday we hiked some of the trails through the woods and by the river. Only a few hours away from El Puerto de Santa Maria, but so different!



The pups came with us, and it was a terrier party along with Pia and Ross's dog, Rosa, a bodeguero like Cora.




A shepherd (technically goatherd?) and his flock. I love that shepherds can be seen everywhere in EspaƱa. Since I'm normally speeding by in the car, this was one of the first times I've been able to take photographs up-close. 







We found our new Spanish casa. It's a bit of a "handyman's delight" but I think it has potential.





Most of our weekend was spent exploring the town, eating , relaxing, drinking wine with friends, and enjoying the views from the terrace. It was wonderful!





Did you get into anything over the long weekend? Muchisimas gracias to Pia and Ross for sharing their weekend with us!

4 comments:

  1. This is on my list of places to visit. I love the photo of the bench and shepherd/goat herder!

    I can relate to the talk-and-Google version of planning. It was my approach to a recent trip to Avila on a Monday. As I finalized the plans on Sunday night, after buying train tickets, I discovered that Monday is the most common day to close museums, historical attractions and restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll admit, I was pretty excited when we ran into the shepherd and I'm sure he thought I was some insane guiri as I snapped a bunch of photos.

      Trip planning can be a bit difficult when long weekends get eaten up by the typical Spanish schedule of most things closed Sunday and/or Monday. We've definitely spent a good amount of time on weekends away wandering around looking for something to do and something to eat. Part of the adventure, right?

      How was Avila?

      Besitos,
      Meghann

      Delete
  2. I love random pueblo blanco posts like this. They always lure me in! Did you ski?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love random pueblos blancos, which works well because Andalucia is chock full of them. And no skiing for me this weekend (or ever, since I've never skied once in my life) but Graham is itching to go, so maybe a trip back to the Granada area is in our near future. I won't complain, love it there!

      M.

      Delete

Hola! Feel free to leave some love. Muchas gracias for stopping by!